Training for counsellors and other professionals
- Our training is about much more than information-giving. It is an interactive experience where everyone contributes to the learning.
- Our courses offer research-based theoretical, creative, practical and experiential learning.
- Our facilitators are dynamic, knowledgeable and experienced. Without exception all our courses have been evaluated extremely highly.
- Our facilitators work hard with the group to foster and develop a safe learning space. We develop our training to encourage self reflection and expand self awareness, improving your practice as workers, counsellors and supervisors.
- Facilitators manage the group experience to develop relational learning.
- Trainer to participant ratio is high ensuring quality and maximising learning.
Post Qualifying Course: Counselling Substance Use and Dependence – see further details below.
COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills: Substance Use & Dependence – see further details below.
COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills Short Courses.
We run short one – three day courses in the following areas. Courses can be tailor-made to suit the needs and learning requirements of your organisation.
- working with anger
- child and adult protection,
- developing counselling skills
- working with diversity and difference
- working with sexual abuse and trauma
- working with substance use and dependence
- working with women
Tutors Jane Edwards and Sarah Loeb
Post Qualifying Course: Counselling Substance Use and Dependence
This is a four day post qualifying course for individuals who have a Diploma in Counselling or equivalent and are looking to continue their professional and personal development in the field of substance use and dependence.
The course offers theoretical, practical and experiential learning based on a range of research and looks at how to work effectively with substance users.
Participants are encouraged to explore their own feelings about working with substance users and information on the effects of a wide range of drugs is presented in an accessible way.
Tutor: Sarah Loeb
COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills: Substance Use & Dependence
“It’s so much more than a just a generic counselling skills course”
The COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills – substance use and dependence has been developed from the long established COSCA generic counselling skills course. It encompasses the generic course as well as additional material on working with substance use, substance users and dependency.
- Is a professionally recognised qualification in counselling skills.
- Provides a COSCA certificate 144 hour training programme in counselling skills, delivered over 4 Modules of 36 hours each.
- Provides an excellent and recognised starting point for those who wish to train as a counsellor or psychotherapist. Most diplomas ask for a counselling skills course as a prerequisite.
- Contains four strands: skills, knowledge, self-awareness and ethics.
- Uses experiential learning e.g. students practice in groups of three.
- Helps the individuals who complete it to develop and apply counselling skills in non-counselling settings.
It is designed for
- Anyone interested in taking the first steps in training to be a counsellor
- People interested in finding out more what counselling can offer
- Anyone who wants to understand more about living or working with someone who has substance use and dependence issues
- People in helping or caring professions with specialist focus on substance use and dependency
Students will develop:
- Good interpersonal and communications skills.
- Active listening using verbal and non-verbal skills eg paraphrasing, asking questions in a helpful way, summarising, attending and responding to the speaker.
- Inserting the qualities of acceptance, genuineness and empathy into a helping relationship.
- An understanding of counselling theory.
Tutor: Sarah Loeb
Please note this course was developed by the course tutor and validated by COSCA. We are working to transfer validation between training providers.